Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Semipalmated Plovers

When I was at the beach I saw a Semipalmated Plover. It was very pretty. There is a picture of it under the post. It has a white stripe around its neck. It has a white breast, a brown head, a brown back, and yellow feet. It has a black beak, and I like it. They are very pretty. They have a very short little neck. In fact, I don't even think that you could really say that it has a neck at all, because it is so short, not at all like a Sandpiper's neck. Sandpipers' necks are quite long. But these birds have very short little necks. I saw one at the beach, and I saw a Sandpiper by it. They were quite different from each other. Then it flew away. I was quite sad. I love Semipalmated Plovers.



photo credit

2 comments:

  1. Why is is called "semipalmated"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's because its feet are partially webbed. I love you, Grandma Betty!

      Delete